Friday, May 16, 2014

School project = Art history lesson

Last week H exhibited a project during Open House at school.  It was an opportunity for the kids to to develop a project that reflects their special interests and abilities. Keeping in mind that she is only in Kindergarten, I chose something simple and enjoyable but incorporate a lesson as well. This gave me a chance to teach her about the artist Georges Seurat and Pointilism (a technique of painting in which small dots of color are applied to form an image).

WHAT YOU NEED
Paint
Canvas board or heavy weight paper
Q-tips or small paint brush

I chose one of my favorite photos of H&N from our beach trip last year.
I drew an outline sketch on the canvas so H had something to follow.
I explained to her how to create colors by painting on top of an existing color. She was fascinated by this technique and happily painted away.
This was pretty tedious process so she actually took a break and finished it up a little later.

Here is her masterpiece! I'm proud of my lil' Seurat. It was great seeing what other kids did in her class and all the other grades as well.

Do you have a favorite artist?
Have a wonderful weekend!

Eva

8 comments:

  1. Eva, I loooooooooooooooooooove this. I love that you made an art technique so accessible to H. Using a Q-tip is perfect! And let me say, she did an amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing job. I hope you hang that art up somewhere b/c I bet ppl will not even believe she did it. Good job, H. Following well in your artist-mom's footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa!!! I pass the compliments along to H :) I definitely will hang this up and frame it… now the question is where? hehe

      Delete
  2. What Lisa said! I can't wait to work on stuff like this someday with Anna and Will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce! You'll be working on these projects real soon :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I remembering learning about him in my art appreciation class in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandi! Doing this project brought me back to all those art history classes I took in college too hehe.

      Delete
  4. Wow she did such a good job, I love how it came out!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yi-Chia! I'm so proud of my girl ; )

      Delete