Monday, October 1, 2012

Cupcake Costumes

For Halloween last year I really wanted to dress E2 and E3 up as cupcakes. I liked the cupcake costumes at Pottery Barn Kids but didn't like the price, so I set out to make the costumes myself.

I wanted the costumes to be a bit roomy so they could wear a layer underneath since it always gets rather chilly here around Halloween. So I first found a shift like dress that had a loose fit for the girls to use as the 'foundation' of the costumes. Then I created the patterns for the icing, dots, and the cup part.  I had not worked on such a labor intensive sewing project since college but I must say I had a great sense of achievement when I was done with the costumes.


Now they hang in the girls room since their room has a "Sweets Shop" theme, which is perfect!

Please share one your more labor intensive projects, we would love to hear them!
Zi

2 comments:

  1. Very cute costumes, with the cupcake liners and all! Do you always dress E2 and E3 in coordinating costumes? And I love that you can hang them up as decoration b/c then it's not a waste! Once, I made a Princess dress from the Mario Brothers. It took me about 30 painful hrs working with the cheapest fabric and thread. Oi. I tossed it b/c it was falling apart :(. It was fun though, in a way, because Alan dressed up as Wario (which took him all of 5 min to do, last minute, ARGH!), his sister dressed up as the mushroom, and his sister's hubby dressed up as Mario. I wish I knew where that photo was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 hours is a long time! I think I remember some pictures you may have posted a while back of these costumes, it sounds very familiar! I like to co-ordinate the girls because I think it's cute and I want to do it before they get older and don't want to dress alike anymore.

      Delete