Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Giving Tree


Here’s a craft I created and want to share with you.
Since my kids enjoy the The Giving Tree, By Shel Silverstein so much I decided to make something that would make it more interactive for them as we read the story.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • Paper towel roll
  • Empty tissue box or small box
  • Small cup (Ex: bathroom paper cup)
  • Heavy cardstock paper  (I used bristol board)
  • Green construction paper (optional)
  • Brown & green paint
  • Markers and/or crayons
  • Velcro or double stick tape 

I drew the tree, branches and apples and had the kids color.
Click to download the TREE and the BRANCHES & APPLES
Stick velcro on the back of the branches and apples.

This way you can remove each piece as the tree gives to the boy. Ideally I would laminate each piece. But since I don’t have a laminating machine I used bristol board.

Paint the paper towel roll and cup to make the tree trunk and stump. 
When paint is dry cut a small slit at the top of the roll. 

Paint or glue green construction paper on tissue box.

Attach paper roll on small cup. Insert trunk into the tissue box.
Attach tree onto the slits on the paper towel roll. 
small cup as tree stump
Now you have The Giving Tree!
This kept the kids TV free and now we have a more interactive story time.
What are some crafts you enjoy making with your kids? 
Do you have any fun book related crafts to share? 
I would love to hear your ideas.

Eva

7 comments:

  1. I've seen teachers do a craft with chicka chicka boom boom. Maybe you could repurpose the tree trunk and do something with letters?
    Simon's teacher does this cute craft with the kissing hand so kids won't miss their moms so much.
    By the way do you have a good recipe for homemade play dough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need you to tell me more about the kissing hand craft for H. I'll check to see if I saved a recipe anywhere. I never made any yet.

      Delete
  2. What a cute craft. You spent time making it together and now you can spend lots of time interacting with the book. How awesome! I used to cut photos out of kids' magazines, laminate them (I just use contact paper), and glue magnets to them. I thought they'd be nice "flash cards" for J to play with on the chalkboard/magnetic walls I painted. Turned out, Jasper (the puppy) is more interested in eating the magnets than J is playing with them. Oh well! For future use :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! My kids are now into knitting and sewing. We signed them up for classes at JoAnn's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Wow cool. What are they learning to knit? I'll have to sign H up when she's a little older :)

      Delete
  4. I'm amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's both equally educative and engaging, and let me tell
    you, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue
    that too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i'm very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

    Check out my webpage :: codes Psn gratuit

    ReplyDelete